Custom Furniture Commissions
A piece of hand-crafted furniture is a work of art - it is unique in the world, and is an expression of your individuality. It starts with an idea. Inspired by anything from a picture in a magazine to a beautiful tree, your vision comes to life in the hands of a well-educated and highly skilled craftsman.
Commissioning a piece of furniture is not like purchasing a cabinet or chair from a store. You can have almost anything you want, and that means you have choices. We help you make informed decisions limited only by your budget.
Our strengths include accuracy, flexibility, timeliness, innovative problem solving, patience, extreme attention to detail, and intelligent, professional interaction.
Why custom furniture?
- Quality: Our custom furniture is durable, built for a lifetime of use; no sagging bookshelves made from particleboard, destined for the dumpster.
- You may have exactly what you want: There's no need to settle for something that almost works.
- Concierge service: We reply to emails and phone calls quickly. When you call, you will speak with the owner, not a receptionist.
- Your purchase supports local, American furniture makers.
On any given day in the shop, we have a variety of projects under construction, from simple occasional tables to large conference tables with integrated wiring and communications. The process, from initial contact to installation, can vary depending on the piece. Generally speaking, we use the following process:
- Most of our projects begin with a call or email from a client, who has an idea for a project. We reply quickly to enquiries, and ask questions concerning design, budget, desired installation dates etc.
- Clients with complete designs, in the form of images or drawings, may email them to us. We will quickly acknowledge receipt of the design(s), and may ask follow up questions by phone or email. When all the details of the project have been nailed down, we will provide a firm quote within a few days, detailing all charges, including taxes and any applicable delivery or installation charges.
- On more complex pieces, we ask for a design deposit, usually $300 - $1000. This allows us to develop the design with you or your designer. A 3d rendering of your project is also an option.
- When all details of a project are nailed down, we will provide a firm quote, detailing all charges, including taxes and any applicable delivery or installation costs. Clients will also receive a scope document, detailing what is and is not included in the work, as well as a formal contract.
- Upon receipt of the quotation and associated documents, clients are asked to read them carefully. If any changes are required to the quote, contract or scope document, we will make them.
- Once the price and details of the project are agreed upon, and the client has signed the quote and contract, we will collect a fabrication deposit, as outlined in the quote, usually equal to 50% of the project cost. At this time, we provide clients with a firm delivery date. Delivery dates are determined by the order in which deposits are received. However, as we usually have several pieces under construction simultaneously, smaller pieces are often started right away.
- As we begin work on projects, we create finish samples, and ask for client approval, making changes here and there (lighter, darker, warmer, cooler etc.) as required. Clients are welcome to schedule an appointment to come to the shop to view their project under construction at any time during the fabrication process, or may request a detailed email report on their project's status.
- Upon completion of projects, delivery and installation begins, as outlined in the contract. Clients are always welcome to pick-up their projects (we provide loading assistance), or arrange for pick-up with an independent delivery company.